A confession from a people pleaser

It has been a really good day at work today. But a really good question came to my mind – why do I feel bad when I don’t do as others want me to? I always feel guilty when I have to turn someone down or say no. But why?

I talked about this with a co-worker today and she said to me that concidering all the negative things I have been through in my life, I should definitely start valuing myself and my needs more than what others say, think, want or do. She is so right.

Logically I know I have to listen to how I feel and what I want – and I do, some of the times, but not often enough. I am sick and tired of feeling guilty when I have to say no.

We are all equal beings, my desires, wishes and needs are just as important as anyone else’s. I will no longer satisfy the needs of those around at the cost of my own wellbeing. I will respect and value my opinion and I will honor my desires as well – I will say no when it feels off to me and I no longer take responsibility for other people’s happiness or sadness. No more. It is not my job – how you feel is your job. How I feel is my job. I will take better care of myself from now on.

1. Sparky
    May 06, 2019 @ 12:46:55

So true. You can’t please everyone. There will always be haters & naysayers. Ignore them

2. zalstin
    May 06, 2019 @ 13:10:49

When I feel guilty for saying no it’s not really guilt so much as anxiety about how others will react to me for saying no. Anxiety can be a way of trying to predict possible bad outcomes. For me the key is to remember that I can always deal with other people’s reactions, but my own anxiety will wear me down πŸ˜“

3. Marty
    May 06, 2019 @ 13:38:04

Codependency
    Our need for approval from others overshadows our own needs

One of the causes is our childhood neglect or abuse

It is hard for us to say no and not feel guilt

May 06, 2019 @ 14:26:07

100% correct. Perfectly stated. Never too late to begin working on it though.

• Marty
        May 06, 2019 @ 14:49:24

It is not a life sentence
        PTSD or complex PTSD is also not a life sentence

Here is a therapist who specializes in codependency

I have found his wisdom helpful

May 06, 2019 @ 15:01:39

Thank you for your kindness. I started going to a therapist last year, after I was abused. I went to her twice a week for over 5 months, but now she has been away from work for 3 months but I have asked my boss to help me get a new therapist to help me cope with my thoughts and feelings about everything. πŸ™

• Marty
        May 06, 2019 @ 15:30:26

Finding a good therapist is a challenge

When I started, clueless was my skill level. I would not of known a good from a non effective therapist

A therapist who uses a mindfulness based therapy such as acceptance and commitment or dialectic behavioral therapy in my opinion work quicker and allows you to practice your recovery at home. This did wonders for me.

Be aware of your people pleasing toward your therapist. We want to please them which may hinder your healing.

Codependency does not take a break

May 06, 2019 @ 16:26:56

It sure does not take a break indeed πŸ™‚

• Marty
        May 06, 2019 @ 15:34:21

If I may

Those thoughts and feelings about everything are a mirage. They are powerless, like air if we let them go, discount them and bring awareness that it is trauma from the past being activated

My thoughts and feelings fired my fight or flight mechanism 20times a day. It went off when it felt like it without any input by me

Feels like life is out of our control does it not

You are on the path and have taken action

Exercise specifically aerobic exercise helps our bodies and minds also

• Ron
        May 06, 2019 @ 15:44:02

Thoughts andfeelings are not a mirage.Β  These arewords and events that come to us in the past. They sit in images in our mind todestroy life within us. Thoughts; I could tell someone that they arestupid.Β  It conveys an image in the minda feeling in the mind of the recipient of my tirade. Β Or I create life in the person’s mind sometimesby simply saying, β€œWho the hell told you that”?

• Marty
        May 06, 2019 @ 16:26:13

Ron
        Experience

Trauma memories are stored in the right amygdala, a side we can not access consciously

We have 60,000 thoughts a day that pass our way. Are all of those thoughts accurate Ron

That’s one a second or 60 thoughts since you read my reply.

Some of these thoughts are highly emotional and negative.

Some are unworthy thoughts generated by our created Ego.

Think they are real and have power.
        Monks who meditate and have achieved a different space let all 60,000 go and are happy

If you believe your thoughts you will be controlled by them and others.

If your codependent you will suffer

May 06, 2019 @ 16:43:33

I agree completely πŸ™πŸŒ±

May 06, 2019 @ 16:26:20

πŸ™ Thank you for sharing your thoughts

4. John Harrell
    May 06, 2019 @ 13:42:25

Nice piece. You are not responsible for the emotions of others. Do your best, always, and recognize you are good enough. Keep writing…

5. Ron
    May 06, 2019 @ 14:43:43

When you serve others you will always second guess yourself. We are equal in one sense but different in other respects. No one person has the same talents. No person has the same fingerprints no two are alike.

6. Marty
    May 06, 2019 @ 17:08:27

β€œI will say no when it feels off to me and I no longer take responsibility for other people’s happiness or sadness. No more. It is not my job – how you feel is your job. How I feel is my job. I will take better care of myself from now on. β€œ

This also applies to our own negative thoughts. Why hold others to a standard we do not apply to our own destructive thoughts

I healed by accepting the mirage of my intrusive thoughts. I healed by staying present and not engaging these thoughts

If you give your thoughts attention, that powers them
    They grow inside our head

Edward Bourne: self-talk;
    β€œIt is so automatic and subtle you don’t notice it or the effect it has on your moods and feelings.
    It appears in telegraphic form- one short word or image (”Oh no!) contains a whole series of thoughts, memories, or associations.”

This shape our self image
    And influences our ability to let go of thoughts

7. Ancient Skies
    May 06, 2019 @ 17:09:32

Powerful words! You seem to be on a great road, a healing road.

8. faithfound2019
    May 07, 2019 @ 05:37:44

I’m so proud of your decision!

9. ShawnaB
    May 09, 2019 @ 02:05:38

I’m absolutely a people pleaser too! It’s a hard habit to break!

10. sunilmdabral
    May 10, 2019 @ 17:54:04

You have a problem. You are cursed with a good heart.πŸ˜”

11. Jonathan Caswell
    May 21, 2019 @ 17:32:38

Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    YOU BETTER—ME, TOO!

12. Jonathan Caswell
    May 21, 2019 @ 17:34:21

I hear you—-I’ve been in the same boat for years—-bur with God’s loving assistance, am getting better!

13. Elevated Living
    May 25, 2019 @ 18:56:10

I can completely relate. Like you, I’ve been a people pleaser; feels like all of my life. It’s a hard way of life to let go of, because you’ve learned, pleasing others helps you feel like you have purpose. When you’re not pleasing others and doing what you think is right for you, it’s almost as if you feel you need validation from others to do something that brings you joy.
    The only problem with that is, it’s going to be a revolving door of a lot of self talks, feeling bad because you’re more focused on what others think about you. Rather than how you feel about yourself.
    Do yourself a favor, go to a therapist if you can afford it. It’s something I’m finally able to do.
    Thank you for sharing this post. It shows me and other people like us they’re not alone.