Trust your instincts – if it feels off, it is off πŸ™

This can be hard at times and it is indeed something you must continue to practice all your life. I am usually very kind and I have always been a people pleaser, but I am trying to break this cycle by listening to my heart and learning to say no when it feels even the slightest bit off. Today was a really good example of this.

The other week a person asked me to help him with something. I said yes to helping him when he asked me about this the first time, which was last week. I was supposed to help him today but I could feel this really uneasy feeling in my entire body today. The uneasy feeling just intensified as the day progressed and I even spoke up about it to my closest co-worker. She advised me to say no and to listen to my instinct. Even if this person is kind and well-meaning – if my instincts says that it feels off, it is off. So I did. I said no and I immediately felt so much better.

This truly is a process. If you are a people pleaser you truly enjoy helping other people and as soon as someone has a problem you want to help them feel better – but what about your own well-being? You have to think about your own safety and well-being first, then the other person. And a big part in this is to say NO when it feels off. That is the key to being of value both to others and to yourself.

1. bigskybuckeye
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 14:03:55

Well said! Human tendency is to always say “yes” to such requests. We need to be watchful to manage that our plate doesn’t become too full.

2. transformativenourishment
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 14:25:22

Love this so much! Thank youπŸ™

3. Karac Avalron
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 15:53:14

No is hard, particularly at work as the judgement of others in the work place can sometimes really affect your job. I’ve struggled in the past with saying no to helping people, but saying ”no” with grace and being kind, for me was like a snow ball. The more I said ”no” in the right way the larger the snow ball got, and the more momentum I felt.
    Best of luck.

4. jesusluvsall
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 15:57:38

I think it is so important for women to listen to their instinct, their inner voice.

5. ayansolaibukun
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 18:01:40

If there is a law a man should keep, it’s the law of his conscience. Our instincts are divine endowments. Life will be a lot easier for us when we come to understand their dynamics.

6. milfordstreet
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 18:52:29

I agree, there’s a difference between the β€œbutterflies in the stomach” and something feeling off. It’s important to discern between the two and avoid things that feel off. Good post.

7. SHUBHAM VERMA
    Jun 06, 2019 @ 01:52:58

very nice πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ’ž

8. hcmorris77
    Jun 06, 2019 @ 16:10:09

I really enjoy reading your posts! As a caregiver, I’ve had to learn to say no…more than usual lately.
    Than you!