Say no because you respect and value yourself

IMG_20190508_204756

I have begun practicing saying no and being clear with my limits. Today someone came to me and he was really rude. In the beginning of the conversation I told him what the original plan was, and what my part in the project was. I was clear and confident because I knew all the fact, all the rules and all the expectations with this project. He did not accept the facts, he lied straight into my face and got angry. He asked me to change the project completely, just to fit his needs, which basically meant that he would not participate at all, yet be payed as if he had done all the work. I said no, and I explained the situation, the rules with the project that we had to do. He got even more upset when I didnยดt do what he wanted me to do and he started questioning me. At this point the conversation felt really uncomfortable. I told him that he made me feel very uncomfortable, and that I didnโ€™t want to help him anymore โ€“ I asked him to leave and get someone else to help him instead. He did not take my no, he got even more angry. But when he noticed that I was not going to give in, he stood up and left.

When I spoke to myย friends about what had happened, they told me that this was not the first time this person had acted in that way. All my friends had experienced similar situations with this person.

The entire situation felt really weird and I am so proud of myself for not letting him have his way with me. I know what is right and I know what is wrong. I will never do what feels wrong to me in order to please someone else. It doesnยดt matter who they are. I will no longer bend over backwards for others, I will respect and value myself just as much as I respect and value our differences. I donโ€™t judge this person, I just choose to remove myself from this person andย hope that he finds a way to deal with his own insecurities.

• Have you found yourself in a situation where someone tried to cross a boundary with you? How did you handle the situation?

1. macherie48
    May 08, 2019 @ 20:06:19

Wow! What a cheek! Well done for standing up to them.

2. Gaz the Human Macrophage
    May 08, 2019 @ 20:15:13

Good for you. Well done.

3. Hilary Tan
    May 08, 2019 @ 20:22:57

Unfortunately, I did have an issue with someone for the past 2 years. He wouldnโ€™t leave me alone and when he found out where I lived he kept inviting himself over. He was creepy and I didnโ€™t like how he kept disrespecting me. I worked with him back in the day and he seems less annoying back then.

Luckily we were getting ready to move and I thought he would leave me alone, but he kept calling me and kept sending me very sexual inappropriate text messages. Even though I didnโ€™t block him, I ghosted him and distanced myself from him to the point where he stopped texting me, got bored, and moved on.

4. theacquiescentsoul
    May 08, 2019 @ 20:36:27

Sometimes it is so difficult to be assertive, but it also creates more empowerment when it happens. Bravo to you!

5. JAMESK GICHUKILANTERN
    May 08, 2019 @ 20:50:14

now that is true writer,

6. zalstin
    May 08, 2019 @ 23:07:31

Well done! ๐Ÿ˜Š

7. Andy
    May 08, 2019 @ 23:18:54

I recall you had a neighbour a while back who was being pushy with you? Was that resolved?

8. windsofchange18
    May 09, 2019 @ 00:49:29

Good for you!

9. emergingfromthedarknight
    May 09, 2019 @ 12:31:49

Well done…you don’t deserve this treatment… good on you for setting boundaries.

10. A Escritora | Portfรณlio
    May 09, 2019 @ 18:17:50

Keep working on that inner strenght and confidence! Well done! I did not experience something like that, but if I have to, I hope I can be just like you in that moment.

11. pvcann
    May 10, 2019 @ 16:27:28

Perfect, great way to stand for yourself and set that crucial boundary – loud applause

12. Jonathan
    May 17, 2019 @ 17:09:35

In my experience, the biggest signal that somebody knows what they are doing or
    asking is wrong, is if they attack something else when questioned.