Always the same nightmare – what does it mean?

All my life I have had the same nightmare. Ever since I was a little girl. The place might be different, the danger might be different but the scenario is always the same. Something bad (which I have never seen) is after me and wants to hurt and kill me. My only escape is to lock a door between me and the bad thing that is coming. But it is impossible to lock the door, always. I do all the technical things just right – I lock the door in the perfect way you are supposed to. But as I check the door to see if it is locked – it never is. It always remains unlocked no matter what I do.

I had this nightmare again last night. This time I had bought a new house but the back door did not have a lock at all and the bathroom door was impossible to lock. Just like always. I wonder what this means? I have had these same nightmares for over 30 years now – for as long as I can remember.

I guess it goes back to all the worry and fear I had as a child. All the nights when I could not fall asleep because I was so afraid that my father (who was an alcoholic and walked in his sleep a lot) would try to get into my room. It was really scary to wake up and hear someone’s hands and fingers against my door – feeling for the handle – and then hear the handle slowly being pulled down and hear someone enter. I was usually so petrified I could not even make a sound, totally frozen.

It was not until I was a teenager that I got a key to my own door. But still, he would still walk in his sleep and I could still hear him trying to enter. It seems logical all these night mares come from these experiences. I only wish they would end. πŸ’–

1. ultimatetravel8
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 09:02:02

Very interesting! I had the same thing for a long time when I was child.

2. Sophia
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 09:21:55

Remember what Abraham says about dreams … it’s not about the details of the dream, it’s about the way the dream feels (the emotion), and the dream is showing you what you have had active in your vibration recently. And the timing of this dream is logical, after your recent talk at work about your past (focusing on your past reactivates that feeling place in your now). LOA and your emotional guidance system working perfectly xx

Mar 24, 2018 @ 09:24:03

Yes. No wonder I had the same nightmare again then! 🀣 I have felt really bad about talking about my past ever since she asked me. I guess I will lovingly say no thank you next time and not activate all of it again. πŸ’– Thank you for reminding me. πŸ’–

3. yesyoucan111
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 10:05:38

I do understand you, I had a similar experience as a child. What helped me is to just embrace myself by accepting that I have a scar and that’s a part of me. Still I hope your nightmare ends soon. And be proud of yourself. Look how far you have become and what a nice family you have created. All the best to you.

4. Jonathan
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 10:30:08

I had a recurring dream when I was young – of a huge version of a character from a children’s TV show bursting out at me from a door in a local subway tunnel. In the dream I would always end up walking past. Then one day – I forget how old I was, I attacked the thing that burst through the door. I never had the dream again.

5. Natasha Tungare
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 12:27:57

This one’s super amazing post!πŸ’–

6. Sage Keegan
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 13:35:03

Want to try a remedy? Keep a glass full of water, covered, by your bedside. It has to be on pillow side. Let me know if this helpsπŸ™‚

7. Auroraboros
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 14:03:00

I am curious, have you ever been lucid in these dreams? If not, have you/would you be willing to try to be?

Mar 24, 2018 @ 14:08:29

What does lucid mean?

• Auroraboros
        Mar 24, 2018 @ 14:17:48

Aware and fully capable of controlling your actions. Usually in dreams, people are kind of in a haze of awareness… There but not there, acting but not really doing so of their own volition. Lucid dreaming is taking full control of the dream and having agency like you would in the waking world.

One easy trick to do this is to spend about 5 minutes before you go to sleep studying your hands. Look at them closely, every line every fold, every angle. Repeat to yourself “these are my hands”, and keep aware of yourself, know yourself in that moment. Then, in your dreams, try to do the same. You will get closer and closer, then eventually, it will be natural and you can lucid dream quite easily.

Mar 24, 2018 @ 14:43:39

I guess I have lucid dreams every night then because I am fully aware and know it is a dream. I can also make myself wake up. 🌼

• Auroraboros
        Mar 24, 2018 @ 15:04:18

Well, that is impressive and quite unique. What a gift!

Mar 24, 2018 @ 15:31:40

I did not know it was special 🀣 thank you for letting me know. ❀

8. All About Life
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 14:17:35

I had the same 2 nightmares for years: being chased and unable to run and being strangled by someone I couldn’t see. I told someone and they said, quite simply, when the nightmare arrives tell yourself over and over that this is just a dream – some part of your subconscious is alerted to the fact and you wake up. It’s very rare that I have nightmares now but on the odd occasion I do the ‘wake up call’ seems to work. Great post and a very interesting subject

9. Diane Webb
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 14:45:27

That sounds like a really bad nightmare. Helpless to protect your self. Try changing the outcome mentally after you wake.

10. Jojo
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 15:04:29

Hey,

I’m not sure how and why these bad dreams seem to recur. I have had those too, but strangely, all of them look like episodes from the original Twilight Zone – black and white, surreal.

I’m sure you’ll be fine – never let the darkness overtake you, keep running!

11. 2 am pundit
    Mar 24, 2018 @ 17:05:24

The dream is symbolic of past (or present) feelings of insecurity, or a lack of control over your circumstances.

12. Tinu
    Mar 25, 2018 @ 10:47:02

Sorry dear..

13. Trackback: The Sunshine Blogger Award – Spreading the Joy – All About Life
  14. righteousbruin9
    Mar 31, 2018 @ 05:37:50

An unlockable door would indeed seem to be subconscious insecurity. Hope these dreams will cease, now that you have verbalized them.