“I want to quit my job” Yes I am very sensitive – it is a gift ❤

Today I got some hurtful criticism from my boss that brought me to my knees. At first I was furious because it felt so unfair. And now I just feel sad about it.

My co-workers were so supportive of me and tried to sooth me back into feeling better. They were on my side and thought my boss had acted without taking the time to get all the facts straight first. I used to think he was a supportive boss but right now it feels far from that. Even the thought of resigning from work has occured to me tonight.

But, I will work on regaining my emotional balance again by focusing on the bigger picture. He really does mean well. He really does know I do a great job. He cares about his teachers, he wants them to feel satisfied with their work. I do feel rather good about having him as my boss. He cares a lot about his students. He wants our students to succeed and feel good. He also wants to do a good job and meet the expectations of others. I think I understand him now, I see the bigger picture. I really do value his caring and his decisiveness. 🌹

It does feel better. I feel like I can breathe again. Writing is one of the best ways I know to find relief and feel better.

• How do you deal with criticism?

1. Gary
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 18:58:16

You have managed this so well.
    I take the criticism and internalise it. At first, like you I feel the pain and the I try to make the effort to see the argument from all sides and put myself in the shoes of others. If I see that I really was at fault, it feels better strangely because the criticism was justified and I have to improve myself. If I cannot see the justification for the criticism, then it is a matter of rising above my feelings, smiling and making sure others see that I can be better.

2. aguycalledbloke
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 19:00:28

What was his criticism of you, was it just or unjust, fair or unfair, can you detach the emotion from the logic and travel through the experience like that to see if you need to retain your balance or if indeed it is part of a learning curve? none of us react well to criticism, but the process l adopt once my anger has subsided is ‘was it just?’ 🙂

Feb 21, 2018 @ 19:01:50

I can see his point, I can see his desire for improvement and I will act accordingly. 🌹❤

• aguycalledbloke
        Feb 21, 2018 @ 19:04:12

Well also remember to be you as well, l find that sometimes we are so eager to please others that we forget to be ourselves 🙂

Feb 21, 2018 @ 19:08:54

I know, 🤣 I have been a people pleaser all my life and it is a process to break free from this mindset. I want everyone to feel good, I want everyone to feel satisfied and I want everyone to feel valued. And at the same time you have to tend to your own balance within it.

I always do my best at work and make choices I believe will satisfy as many as possible. I know there is always room for improvements though. 🌹❤

3. Cheila Belinda Cruz
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 19:26:04

It really depends on where it’s coming from. The other day my coworkers said something like “you’re not intelligent if you don’t understand math” and I, being a humanities girl, thought about it a lot. “Is it true? Do they think I’m dumb? Am I dumb? I’ve always been told I’m smart. This is so unfair”.

4. SpindoctorUSA
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 19:52:33

Dear JPD,
    you are obviously vulnerable at work. there was a famous character in a very famous TV show about Texas who said, “REAL power you TAKE.”
    So, since we live that way here in Texas,
    TAKE your power, PLEASE.
    Of course if you are in fear of losing your job, you can always see his “side.”
    But, from my many years as a Human Resources rep., you must DOCUMENT everything that happened: Time, day, date, witnesses, who ELSE was present or within earshot, attitude, tone, and most of all what YOU were doing right before it all fell on you.
    Did you speak with your HR dept? Did you evaluate YOURSELF? Seems as if you did. Seems as if you have said (many times) that your work is valuable.
    If you are a SURVIVOR, you do not survive by getting beaten up,
    but by STANDING up.
    If you are a ROLE MODEL your family, you don’t model passive behavior and let yourself get hammered with attitude in front of your peers, then tell your kids, “See? this is how you live a happy life.”
    If you messed up, then you have the RIGHT to be respected enough to be called to an office, with someone else present, close the door and hear the complaint. It is ALSO your BOSS’S responsibility to explain to you what to do RIGHT next time to avoid your making a mistake.
    I apologize, Chivalry is not dead, even when it is not solicited.
    Let me know if you need another pep talk or what to do next.
    Larry
    P.S. DOCUMENT IT !!! Then pass that information on to someone who supports employees at your place of business..

5. fauxcroft
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 20:27:52

My boss is constantly critical, it hurts and makes me feel unappreciated and affects momentarily my motivation, then I let it go and regard his attitude as his problem not mine, and I remind myself I do a good job that benefits those around me. I choose not to take it personally, his negativity says more about him than it does me. Yes he wants the best the same as me but he uses his power and academia to try to flaunt his superiority over me so as to stimulate his ego. I let him get on with it. Just keep doing my job and rise above it. Its sad that people can be so toxic as a means to control. I don’t dislike him I just feel sad for him.

6. SpindoctorUSA
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 20:55:16

Dear JPD,
    So, since we live that way here in Texas,
    TAKE your power, PLEASE.
    Of course if you are in fear of losing your job, you can always see his “side.”
    But, from my many years as a Human Resources rep.,
    you must DOCUMENT
    Did you speak with your HR dept?
    If you are a SURVIVOR, you do not survive by getting beaten up,
    but by STANDING up.
    If you are a ROLE MODEL your family, you don’t model passive behavior and let yourself get hammered with attitude in front of your peers, then turn around and tell your kids, “See? this is how mommy wants you to live a happy life.”
    If you messed up,
    It is ALSO your BOSS’S responsibility to explain to you what to do RIGHT next time to avoid your making the same mistake.
    I apologize,
    Chivalry is not dead, even when it is not solicited.
    Let me know if you need another pep talk or what to do next.
    Larry

7. Timeless Classics -- Poetry by Ana Daksina
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 21:13:28

Oh, bra-VO, my dear!

Reblogging to SIWO

8. Trackback: “I want to quit my job” Yes I am very sensitive – it is a gift ❤ | Success Inspirers World
  9. milfordstreet
    Feb 21, 2018 @ 22:40:45

Ouch! That always stings emotionally, especially when you don’t see it coming or it is not delivered in a way that is sensitive to the person receiving the criticism. Most of us would feel as you did and I’m glad you have supportive coworkers. It shows a level of maturity that you can get beyond how the message was delivered and look at how you can improve as a teacher. Take care.

10. Tony Burgess
    Feb 22, 2018 @ 01:09:50

I internalize things, I also take things very hard when it comes to criticism. Sometimes it takes awhile to shake it off. Now if its constructive and helpful that is one thing but if its meant to tear one down then that’s another. Just breathe and try to get back to doing what you know how to do. Hang in there. You got this.

11. Tim R.
    Feb 22, 2018 @ 21:01:11

Initially very badly. It’s like the first emotions that come up are uncontrollable, at least internally. After time I learned to say nothing and preferably show nothing till I had time to think over what was said. Sometimes the gut reaction still takes place, but every situation is another opportunity for self improvement in this area. I admire your handling of this situation. Writing is definitely an outlet, and offers reflection as well. Not only into the situation but into our reactions and how we handled it. Thank you for sharing.