When everyone asks you for money

This month I have help out three friends financially. It began two weeks ago with a friend who I love dearly – he didn’t have any money left so I took him to the store and let him pick out all the groceries he needed. It was a lot of fun helping him out with this. I have helped him out financially a lot the last 10 months.

A week after that a very close friend of mine had made some bad choices (bought a lot of clothes and things without thinking about what to do when he had spent all his money) and had no money left. I have chosen to help him out fincially for the rest of the month. I have helped him out financially for over 10 years.

And last night I received a text from a neighbour that I have only met twice (in August last year) who has two little babies, they asked if I could give them some money since they didn’t have any money left this month… it didn’t feel ok. I have given them money 4 times since August… but I thought about their two little babies and the thought of them not having any food made it easy for me to give them some money.

And why do I write about this? Because I feel I have reached a point where I have become a person who people come to when they need money. I don’t want to be that person anymore. Sure it is fun to be able to help so many people each month and still have a lot of money left for me and my babies… but I feel this is no longer the right way of dealing with these “friends”. They only become more and more dependent on me and my money. I want them to find their own freedom and empowerment, their own responsibility for their finances.

My intention for next month is clear. I know what my focus is. It is time for a change – and I will begin right now.

1. life change
    Feb 16, 2018 @ 15:15:39

you are a very special person to be able to first of all have the means to be able to help others in their financial situations. I give you lots of props for that. as human beings that’s what we need to exercise more but unfortunately the immediate needs comes first and if you have extra that’s when we can bless others. I love to hear from people that are doing this. but at the same time they have to learn to be dependent only on them yes their are going to be situations where they will need help from others but don’t expect it constantly..

2. Gary
    Feb 16, 2018 @ 19:19:56

I think you have made the correct decision. It may be difficult to say no over the next month or so, but a quick end to this is necessary otherwise, people will not learn that after a friendly helpful gift, they need to help themselves to become empowered to solve their problems and not rely on your generous and giving spirit. What can’t happen for you and your children is for others to grow dependent on you.

3. Tony Burgess
    Feb 16, 2018 @ 22:22:30

It’s good to help people out. Don’t let them take advantage of you. Kindness can only stretch so far.

4. milfordstreet
    Feb 17, 2018 @ 00:02:13

It’s good you recognize the need to set limits and follow through with it. It’s kind of delicate but I’m sure you can handle it. Cheers!

5. Jonathan
    Feb 17, 2018 @ 02:02:27

My Dad retired when the family business sold, and within days people started asking for money for things. Thankfully he refused, but we coudn’t believe the cheek of some of them.

Feb 17, 2018 @ 06:15:43

Yes – this is very strange. I would never ever ask for money from a friend and absolutely not someone I dont know.

My parents were poor but as you know they died a long long time ago. I have never had anyone who has helped me with anything – I have done everything myself and worked my way to where I am today. I am proud of what I have accomplished – both regarding how I feel, my confidence but also my financial abundance. If I can go from nothing to this – anyone can! That is why I want them to find their inner strenght by themselves, not by me. ❀

6. PATRICK STORIES
    Feb 17, 2018 @ 04:02:08

Am expecting another post like this I just read. Β You really make my day reading this one.

Thanks. Again. You can check me up on my blog also

Patrickrealstories.wordpress.com

#PATRICKSTORIES
    Peace and Love

7. PATRICK STORIES
    Feb 17, 2018 @ 04:03:20

Thanks Mr/Mrs Β  for accepting and following my blog.

I’m available to read your post at my convenient time.

You have such an interesting topic I will love to read in
    your blog.

I still remain Β the simple blogger…..

#PATRICKSTORIES
    Peace and Love

8. SumitOfficial
    Feb 18, 2018 @ 07:00:45

That’s kind of you to help others.

9. Timeless Classics -- Poetry by Ana Daksina