The world is a big and scary place. Every day, we hear about new threats to our safety and wellbeing. Natural disasters, terrorist attacks, and other catastrophic events can happen anywhere, at any time.
When something really big and awful happens, it can be hard to know what to do. We may feel scared, helpless, and alone. But there are things we can do to cope with these feelings and make it through tough times.
Here are some tips for what to do if something really big and awful happens:
1. Take care of yourself physically. Make sure you have enough food, water, and medicine. Rest when you can.
2. Take care of yourself emotionally. Talk to someone you trust about how you’re feeling. Cry if you need to.
3. Stay informed. Get information from reliable sources. But limit your exposure to news and social media so you don’t get overwhelmed.
4. Help others if you can. volunteering or donating to relief efforts can make a difference. And it can help you feel less powerless.
5. Be patient with yourself and others. Everyone reacts to traumatic events differently. Give yourself and others time to heal.
6. Practice self-compassion. Be kind to yourself during this difficult time. Cut yourself some slack if you’re not able to do everything you normally do.
7, Seek professional help if you need it. If your symptoms are severe or you’re having trouble functioning, talk to a therapist or counselor who can help you get through this.